A smile is called a “gummy smile” if a significant amount of gingival tissue (gums) is visible when a person speaks or smiles. People with a gummy smile feel embarrassed in social situations as they are worried about who notices their large gum line and they try to hide their mouth to avoid embarrassment.
What Causes A Gummy Smile?
- As the teeth erupt (grow out of the gums), the gums typically recede upwards. In some cases, the gums cover major part of the teeth, making normal-sized teeth look shorter even though they may actually be the proper length.
- The shape of the patient’s mouth can sometimes show more of the gum tissue than is visible in the average person’s mouth.
- People who breathe through their mouths, especially at night, are more prone to various nasal problems. This dries out the gum tissue, leaving it more susceptible to disease and overgrowth.
- Heavy intake of medicine such as Diclatin and Cyclosporine can lead to overgrowth of gum tissue.
What Treatment Options Are Available?
Fortunately, it is possible to fix gummy smile.
- Lip lowering in combination with gummy smile correction can show amazing results and the teeth look completely transformed.
- Surgery for gummy smile is one option for a gummy smile fix. Smile cosmetic dentistry focuses on fixing gummy smile problems, and a laser dentist can easily perform gummy smile surgery with the help of the Diode Laser.This laser has the wavelength to work upon red-soft tissue like the gums, so it enables the low gum line to be cut and recede, exposing more of the tooth to fix a gummy smile.
- ‘Smile surgery’, as people call it, is a painless procedure especially when a laser is being used. The patient is only given local anesthesia in the gum areas to be worked on, and when numbness is achieved, the smile correction treatment can be started right away.In just one sitting, people can get their perfect smile. The best part is, you can’t even tell because it’s your natural teeth that just show more. So your smile before and after shows a major difference and you’ll love to just keep smiling!
FREE Dental Consultation
Your just one step away from having the smile you always wanted.